36 Battery was raised as the Madras Artillery on 17th June 1748, the honour title was granted in 1969 and commemorates the siege of that town by Clive in 1751.
Robert Clive realised that the capture of Arcot the Capital of the Carnatic would prevent the French dominating Southern India With a small force of 200 Europeans 300 Sepoys and 20 Madras Artillerymen Clive evicted the French and Native garrison and occupied the fort which was in a state of disrepair As the fort was overlooked by the city now occupied by the former garrison it came under siege Clive set to work to repair the fort and made three sorties into the town; on the third sortie the gunners withdrew their guns by using their recoil As the siege progressed the important role of the gunners became clear; the enemy constructed a raised Battery by filling a house with rammed earth and mounting their guns on the top; the Madras gunners waited until it was completed and after an hour s sustained bombardment the Battery collapsed in the final enemy thrust Clive himself directed the fire of the guns After 50 days the siege was lifted
Following sustained service in India the Madras artillery was amalgamated with the Royal Artillery in 1861
The Battery fought throughout the Great War as a Heavy Battery and in the Second World War in France and Italy. After the war it served in Palestine and Cyprus before moving to Sennelager with the Honest John Rocket in 1960. The Battery moved to Menden in 1972 and in 1975 re-equipped with the Lance missile
36 Battery has the distinction of being the first British unit to fire both Honest John and Lance.